Dr. Thomas Petter
- Associate Professor of Old Testament
First Year at Gordon-Conwell:
- B.A. (University of the Nations)
- M.A.R., M.A. (Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary)
- M.A., Ph.D. (Department of Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations, University of Toronto)
- The Land Between the Two Rivers: Early Israelite Identities in Transjordan (Eisenbrauns, 2014)
- “The Meaning of Substitutionary Righteousness in Isaiah 53:11: A Summary of the Evidence” (Trinity Journal, 2011)
- Ezra-Nehemiah (New International Application Commentary, Zondervan, Forthcoming), with Dr. Donna L. Petter
- Tell Dothan: The Western Cemetery, Robert E. Cooley, Gary D. Pratico, Thomas D. Petter eds. (Forthcoming)
- “Tribalism” in Behind the Scenes of the Old Testament (Baker, Forthcoming)
- “The ‘Herem’ snake in Numbers 21” (Bibliotheca Sacra, Forthcoming)
Old Testament Studies, Near Eastern Archaeology
Born and raised in French-speaking Switzerland, Dr. Petter first came to the U.S. in 1986. Prior to teaching at Gordon-Conwell, Dr. Petter was an Assistant Professor of Old Testament at Biblical Seminary in Hatfield, PA. Over the past 25 years, he has kept his ties with his alma mater University of the Nations (Youth With A Mission), and has taught in the School of Biblical Studies at several of the university’s locations in Hawaii and Montana; Germany; France; and Togo, West Africa.
Dr. Petter’s scholarly interests and publications include ethnicity in ancient Israel, early Israel in Transjordan, the doctrine of justification, Biblical Hebrew syntax and Hebrew exegesis. In addition, he directs the Study Seminar to Israel-Jordan, an in-depth immersion to “3-D Exegesis” by examining the history, archaeology and landscape of the lands of the Bible in situ. His most recent academic blog posts include Bible and Interpretation and The Ancient Near East Today.
- The Restoration of Zion: The Isaianic background to the Pauline doctrine of Justification
- Beyond the Complementarian/Egalitarian debate: the Patrimonial Blessing of Marriage and Ministry Together (with Dr. Donna Petter)
- The Basics of Biblical Hebrew Exegesis (with Dr. Donna Petter)
Dr. Petter and his wife, Donna, also a professor at Gordon-Conwell, have a son, Marcus, and live in Hamilton, MA. Both ordained, they have served in various capacities in local churches including most recently as members of the leadership team that planted North Point Presbyterian Church (EPC) in Peabody, MA, and as Pastoral Associates at Trinitarian Congregational Church in Wayland, MA. They now worship at the First Congregational Church of Boxford, MA in which Dr. Petter has been positioned as Pastoral Associate. As they near the 30-year mark of ministering together, their passion has always been to disciple people through the Word of God within the context of the seminary, the local church and on the mission field.