Dr. Aida Spencer
- Professor of New Testament
First Year at Gordon-Conwell:
- B.A. (Douglass College, Rutgers University)
- M.Div., Th.M. (Princeton Theological Seminary)
- Ph.D. (Southern Baptist Theological Seminary)
- Titus, 2 Timothy. New Covenant Commentary Series. Eugene: Cascade Books, 2014.
- 1 Timothy. New Covenant Commentary Series. Eugene: Cascade Books, 2013.
- Marriage at the Crossroads: Couples in Conversation About Discipleship, Gender Roles, Decision Making and Intimacy (Co-Editors: William Spencer, Steve and Celestia Tracy, InterVarsity Press, 2009)
- Global Voices on Biblical Equality: Women and Men Ministering Together in the Church (Co-Editors: William David Spencer, Mimi Haddad, Wipf and Stock, 2008)
- Second Corinthians: Daily Bible Commentary (Hendrickson, 2007)
- The Global God: Multicultural Evangelical Views of God (Co-Editors: William David Spencer, Baker, 1998)
- God Through the Looking Glass: Glimpses from the Arts (Co-Editors William David Spencer, Baker, 1998)
- Paul's Literary Style: A Stylistic Comparison of II Corinthians 11:16-12:13, Romans 8:9-39, and Philippians 3:2-4:13 (University Press of America, 1998)
- Latino Heritage Bible (co-edited with Alvin Padilla, World Bible, 1995)
- Joy Through the Night: Biblical Resources on Suffering (InterVarsity, 1994, Reprinted by Wipf and Stock, 2007)
- The Prayer Life of Jesus: Shout of Agony, Revelation of Love, a Commentary (University Press of America, 1990)
- Second Corinthians: Bible Study Commentary Series (with William David Spencer, Zondervan, 1989)
- Beyond the Curse: Women Called to Ministry (Hendrickson, 1985)
- Goddess Revival (first printed with Baker and then reprinted by Wipf and Stock)
New Testament Studies, Women's Studies, Paul’s letters, and Luke and Acts
Dr. Spencer is experienced in a wide range of teaching and ministry settings. Born and reared in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, she has taught in the Caribbean and in Spanish on various occasions.
Dr. Spencer has worked as a community organizer, social worker, minister and educator in a wide variety of urban settings in New Jersey. She has worked as a member of Community Action and Model Cities, as well as engaging in adult and continuing education. She has taught English as a Second Language and organized Christian outreach at Trenton State Prison and served as the campus chaplain of the College of New Jersey (formerly Trenton State College).
An ordained minister in the Presbyterian Church (USA), Dr. Spencer is the founding pastor of organization with the Pilgrim Church of Beverly. She is a frequent speaker at churches and conferences and has chaired both the Southeast and Northeast regions of the Evangelical Theological Society. Dr. Spencer has been invited as a visiting scholar at Harvard Divinity School and El Seminario Evangélico of Puerto Rico.
Dr. Spencer also sits on several boards and committees. She is listed in Who's Who in Religion, Contemporary Authors, Who's Who of American Women, Who’s Who in America, Who’s Who in the World, Who’s Who in American Education and Who’s Who Among American Teachers and Educators.
Dr. Spencer’s scholarly interests include Paul’s letters, Luke: Luke and Acts, Bible and women’s studies, marriage, suffering, New Testament ministry, literary style, imagery and prayer. Her personal interests include reading fiction, bicycling and gardening.
She and her husband William, who is also an ordained minister in the PC(USA) and a ranked adjunct professor at Gordon-Conwell, live in Hamilton, MA.