Dr. John Jefferson Davis
- Professor of Systematic Theology and Christian Ethics
First Year at Gordon-Conwell:
- B.S. (Duke University)
- M.Div. (Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary)
- Ph.D. (Duke University)
- Practicing Ministry in the Presence of God: Theological Reflections on Ministry and the Christian Life (Cascade Books, 2015)
- Meditation and Communion with God: Contemplating Scripture in an Age of Distraction (IVPAcademic, 2012)
- Worship and the Reality of God: An Evangelical Theology of Real Presence (IVP Academic, 2010)
- Evangelical Ethics: Issues Facing the Church Today (Presbyterian Reformed, 2006)
- The Frontiers of Science and Faith: Examining Questions from the Big Bang to the End of the Universe (InterVarsity Press, 2002)
- The Victory of Christ's Kingdom: An Introduction to Postmillennialism (Canon Press, 1996)
- Sterilization Option: A Guide For Christians (Baker, 1995)
- Christ's Victorious Kingdom: Postmillennialism Reconsidered (Baker, 1986)
- The Christian’s Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth (Crossway Books, 1986)
- Let the Bible Teach You Christian Doctrine (Paternoster, 1986)
- Handbook of Basic Bible Texts: Every Key Passage for Study of Doctrine and Theology (Zondervan/Academie, 1984)
- Abortion and the Christian: What Every Believer Should Know (Presbyterian and Reformed Publishing Company, 1984)
- Foundations of Evangelical Theology (Baker, 1984)
- Your Wealth in God's World: Does the Bible Support the Free Market? (Presbyterian and Reformed Publishing Company, 1984)
- Theology Primer: Resources for the Theological Student (Baker, 1981 & 1986)
World Religions, Theology, Homosexuality, Abortion, Medical Ethics, Just War, Bioethics, Environmental Ethics, Intelligent Design, Business Ethics, Biblical Ethics
Dr. Davis has served at Gordon-Conwell South Hamilton since 1975. An active member of both the local and broader community, he has taken leadership roles in various organizations relating to children and families. These leadership roles have included serving as chairman of the Board of Directors of Massachusetts Citizens for Life; as a founding member of the Board of Directors of Birthright of Greater Beverly, MA; as a member of the Board of Directors of the Value of Life Committee, and as the Massachusetts delegate to the White House Conference on Families.
Dr. Davis has also maintained an active role in professional and institutional organizations, lending his talents as former president to the Evangelical Philosophical Society and serving on the advisory board for the Presbyterians for Democracy and Religious Freedom. As a Gordon-Conwell faculty member, he serves as a faculty representative for the Anglican Studies Committee and the Institutional Review Board. He also currently chairs the Distributive Education Committee that addresses extension and distance education.
In addition, Dr. Davis is a frequent speaker at churches, conventions and workshops. He has made appearances regularly on radio and television talk shows, including The 700 Club, and his guest editorials have appeared in the Boston Herald, Newsday, the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Baltimore News American, the Washington Star and other newspapers.
Dr. Davis’ scholarly interests include the theology and practice of worship and liturgy, the relationship of Christian faith and modern science, Trinitarian theology and the theology of the Holy Spirit.
His personal interests include gourmet cooking and walking. He is an ordained Presbyterian minister. He and his wife, Robin, have five children and live in Hamilton, MA.