Dr. Todd Johnson
- Associate Professor of Global Christianity
First Year at Gordon-Conwell:
- B.A., M.A., Ph.D. (William Carey International University)
- Our Global Families: Christians Embracing Common Identity in a Changing World (with Cindy Wu, Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2015)
- Evangelicals Around the World: A Global Handbook for the 21st Century (edited with Brian Stiller and Karen Stiller, Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2015)
- Yearbook of International Religious Demography 2014 (with Brian Grim, Gina Zurlo, and Vegard Skirbekk, Leiden: Brill, 2015)
- The World’s Religions in Figures: An Introduction to International Religious Demography (with Brian Grim, Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 2013)
- Atlas of Global Christianity (Co-Editor: Kenneth Ross, Edinburgh University Press, 2009)
- World Christian Encyclopedia, 2nd. Ed. (with David Barrett, George T. Kurian, Oxford University Press, 2001)
- World Christian Trends: AD 30-AD 2200 (with David Barrett, William Carey Library, 2001)
Religious Demographics, World Religions, Global Christianity, Missions
Dr. Todd Johnson is the Associate Professor of Global Christianity and the Director of the Center for the Study of Global Christianity (CSGC), Dr. Johnson researches the status of Christianity and world religions in every people, language, country and city. While under his leadership, the Center’s statistics have been frequently quoted in the media (recently ABC, BBC, Associated Press, New York Times, Washington Post, USA Today, Wall Street Journal, Economist).
Dr. Johnson is widely accomplished in the demographic study of Christianity and world religions. His Ph.D. work in developing quantitative tools to analyze the past, present and future of global Christianity has been put to fruitful use throughout his career, both at Gordon-Conwell and elsewhere. He is currently the editor of the World Christian Database (Brill 2007) located at www.worldchristiandatabase.org, which provides statistical information on Christianity worldwide.
Dr. Johnson is visiting Research Fellow at the Institute on Culture, Religion, and World Affairs at Boston University. He co-leads the International Religious Demography project and is co-editor of the World Religion Database (Brill 2008) at wwww.worldreligiondatabase.org.
Dr. Johnson has also worked in numerous ecclesiastical posts relating to missions and evangelization. He is a member of the Lausanne Strategy Working Group as well as the Missions Commission of the World Evangelical Alliance.
Dr. Johnson and his wife, Tricia, have three daughters: Laura, Claire and Valerie. As a family, they enjoy bike riding, hiking, camping and international food. Dr. Johnson enjoys used bookstores, collecting music and film from around the world and cross-country skiing in the winter.