Dr. Robert Coleman
- Distinguished Senior Professor of Discipleship and Evangelism
First Year at Gordon-Conwell:
- A.B. Southwestern University, 1948
- B.D. Asbury Theological Seminary, 1951
- M.Th. Princeton Theological Seminary, 1952
- Ph.D. The University of Iowa, 1954
- D.D. Trinity International University, 1998
- D.D. Asbury Theological Seminary, 2010
- Established by the Word of God (Seminary Press,1959, Christian Outreach,1976)
- Introducing the Prayer Cell (Seminary Press,1958, Christian Outreach,1960)
- Life in the Living Word (Seminary Press,1960, Revell,1976)
- The Master Plan of Evangelism (Seminary Press,1963, Revell,1964)
- The Spirit and the Word (Seminary Press,1965,Christian Outreach,1969, Revell,1976)
- The Lord's Plan to Spread the Good News (Evangelical Literature Society of India)
- Dry Bones Can Live Again (Revell,1969)
- One Divine Moment (Revell,1970)
- Written in Blood (Revell,1972)
- They Meet the Master (Christian Outreach,1972, Revell,1973)
- Evangelism in Perspective (Christian Publications,1975)
- The Mind of the Master (Revell,1977, Harold Shaw/Waterbrook,2000, Christian Outreach,2003)
- Songs of Heaven, Revell,1980)
- Growing in the Word (Revell,1982
- The New Covenant (Nav Press,1984)
- The Heartbeat of Evangelism (Nav Press,1985)
- Evangelism on the Cutting Edge,Ed. (Revell, l986)
- The Master Plan of Discipleship (Revell,1987)
- The Spark That Ignites (World Wide Publications,1989)
- Nothing to Do But to Save Souls (Zondervan,1990)
- The Great Commission Lifestyle (Revell,1992)
- Disciplemaking:Training Leaders to Make Disciples, Senior Ed. (Billy Graham Center,1994)
- The Coming World Revival (Crossway,1995, Hodder & Stoughton, 1997)
- The Master's Way of Personal Evangelism (Crossway,1997)
- Singing with the Angels (Revell,1998)
- Let the Fire Fall (Torch Trinity Graduate School of Theology in Korea,2000)
- The Heart of the Gospel (Baker Books,2011)
- Discipleshift, with Jim Putman and Bobby Harrington, (Zondervan, 2013)
- Editor, The Trinity World Forum, a journal of articles by persons on the cutting edge of world missions, 1982 to 1013.
- General Editor, The Billy Graham Center Collection of Classics, 21 small books introducing great leaders and their writings on spiritual transformation.
Theology of Evangelism, History of Revival, The Great Commission
Outreach and Discipleship
Dr. Coleman came to Gordon-Conwell in 2001, after directing the School of World Mission and Evangelism at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School for 18 years and teaching at Asbury Theological Seminary for 27 years. While at Trinity, from 1991 to 2000, he also led the Institute of Evangelism in the Billy Center at Wheaton and served as Dean of the Billy Graham International Schools of Evangelism overseas. Outside of the classroom, he has ministered in countless churches, colleges and universities, student gatherings, evangelistic crusades, retreats, revival meetings, Keswick conventions and pastor's conferences around the world.
He is a founding member of the Lausanne Committee on World Evangelization, serving as Chairman of the North American section for many years. He was a member of the Drafting Committee that wrote the Lausanne Manila Manifesto in 1989, and chief architect of the Declaration of the Global Conference on World Evangelization in 1995. In 2000 he was made Honorary Pastor of the Kwang Lim Methodist Church in Seoul, Korea, the largest Methodist Church in the world.
Dr. Coleman serves on the Board of several international missions, a member of the Coordinating Committee of Mission America, and a past President of the Academy for Evangelism in Theological Education. Hundreds of articles and 28 books have come from his pen, many of which have been widely translated. His best known work, The Master Plan of Evangelism, has sold multiple millions of copies and is being read in over 100 languages. It was selected by Christianity Today as one of the 50 books that has shaped evangelicalism in the last half of the twentieth century.
In addition to writing, Dr. Coleman enjoys oil painting, and on occasion, college sports. A significant discipline of his life when teaching for 60 years has been to meet with a small group of students once a week, usually early in the morning, for Bible study and prayer. His wife, Marietta, shares ministry with him, making their home a haven for students. Their three married children and their families continue to fill life with wonder.