Dr. Scott M. Gibson
- The Haddon W. Robinson Professor of Preaching; Director of the Haddon W. Robinson Center for Preaching; Director of Th.M. Program in Preaching; Director of the A.J. Gordon Guild
First Year at Gordon-Conwell:
- B.S. (Pennsylvania State University)
- M.Div. (Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary)
- Th.M. (Princeton Theological Seminary)
- M.Th. (Knox College, University of Toronto)
- D.Phil. (University of Oxford)
- The Landscape of the Character of Preaching,” Midwestern Journal of Theology 14:2 (Fall 2015): pending.
- Preaching with a Plan: Sermon Strategies for Growing Mature Believers (Baker, 2012)
- Should We Use Someone Else’s Sermon? Preaching in a Cut and Paste World (Zondervan, 2008)
- Preaching the Old Testament (editor, Baker, 2006)
- Contemporary Baptists and Historic Faith (editor, Principle Press, 2005)
- Preaching to a Shifting Culture: 12 Perspectives on Preaching that Connects (editor, Baker, 2004)
- A. J. Gordon: American Premillenialist (University Press of America, 2001)
- Preaching for Special Services (Baker, 2001)
- Making a Difference in Preaching: Haddon Robinson on Biblical Preaching (editor, with Haddon Robinson, Baker, 1999)
- The Big Idea of Biblical Preaching: Connecting the Bible to People (with Keith Willhite, Baker, 1998)
- “The Good of Our Work,” Preaching Today.com, 6 single-spaced typed pages, will be the “Labor Day 2015 Sermon,” to be published in September 2015.
- Robert Cameron, Encyclopedia of Christianity in the United States (Lanham, MD: Bowman & Littlefield, 2015). Pending: To be published in 2015.
- “Adoniram Judson Gordon”, Encyclopedia of Christianity in the United States (Lanham, MD: Bowman & Littlefield, 2015). Pending: To be published in 2015.
- “George C. Needham”, Encyclopedia of Christianity in the United States (Lanham, MD: Bowman & Littlefield, 2015). Pending: To be published in 2015.
- “George C. Stebbins”, Encyclopedia of Christianity in the United States (Lanham, MD: Bowman & Littlefield, 2015). Pending: To be published in 2015.
- “Preach the Text”, Preaching (July/August 2015): 30-31.
- “The Landscape of the Character of Preaching”, Midwestern Journal of Theology 14:2 (Fall 2015): pending.
Preaching, Pastoral Ministry, Evangelicalism
The Preacher and the Message
Dr. Gibson joined Gordon-Conwell in 1992 and has brought with him both academic and experiential knowledge of preaching. An ordained Baptist minister, he has served as a pastor and interim pastor in four churches in Pennsylvania and New York since 1985: First Baptist Church, New Bethlehem, PA; Harmony Baptist Church, New Castle, PA; First Baptist Church, Clarion, PA; and First Baptist Church, Lockport, NY; Watertown Evangelical Church, Watertown, MA; and First Baptist Church, Boston, MA.
At Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary Dr. Gibson directs the Center for Preaching and the A.J. Gordon Guild, the Ph.D. program in association with London School of Theology. Dr. Gibson is past president and co-founder of the Evangelical Homiletics Society and is a member of several professional and ecclesiological organizations. These include the Academy of Homiletics, the Evangelical Theological Society and the National Association of Evangelicals.
Dr. Gibson has also been the recipient of several scholarships and fellowships. These included a scholarship from the International Order of the King’s Daughters and Sons for 1982 and 1983. From 1983-1984, he was also the recipient of the Parsonage Graduate Fellowship (a scholarship to study preaching overseas) and from 1988-1989 was a Rotary Foundation Scholar at the University of Toronto. He also received a private fellowship from September to December 1989, to study in Australia.
Dr. Gibson’s scholarly interests include contemporary issues in preaching, pastoral ministry concerns, the history of preaching, the history of evangelicalism and discipleship.
His personal interests include fishing, various sports, reading, writing, art, theater, films, antiques, books, and traveling. He and his wife, Rhonda, live in Beverly, MA.