Salvation Army Program
A Passion for Training Christian Leaders
The Salvation Army and Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary-Charlotte are pleased to maintain a partnership that provides those currently serving in the Salvation Army the following benefits:
- The opportunity to earn a theological degree (Master of Divinity, Master of Arts in Christian Ministries or Master of Arts in Christian Leadership) while continuing in the service of the Salvation Army.
- Courses offered online, in web-enhanced format (3-day residency), as week-intensives, and through weekend format (1 weekend / month / course).
- Seminary credit for practical ministry.
- Degrees which can be completed mostly online, with as little as 4-weeks total on campus throughout the course of the program.
- Advanced standing for those who have successfully completed the School For Officer Training.
Ask anyone engaged in full-time ministry and most will tell you that the longer they serve, the more critical a seminary degree becomes. This is no less true for those who serve in the Salvation Army. Many life-long career officers often find that the skills and knowledge acquired in graduate seminary training are invaluable. In addition, this partnership enables you to integrate theory and practice. What you learn in the class gives substance to what you do in the field, and what you do in the field gives purpose to what you learn in the class.
A Unique Partnership with Those Engaged in Ministry
Gordon-Conwell strives to integrate theory and practice. We believe that effective preparation for ministry must blend theology and action. To that end, we have designed a student-centered model for theological education geared to the needs of those already in ministry, like you.
With the "advanced standing" and distance education options afforded through this partnership, you will be able to reduce the required residency by more than fifty percent. What's more, the online and web-enhanced courses will enable you to continue to be faithful to your "call" without neglecting the theological education so vital to fulfilling it.
How the Partnership Works
If you have an undergraduate degree* from an accredited college or university and have successfully completed the School For Officer Training through the Salvation Army, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary-Charlotte will grant advanced standing credit toward the completion of your graduate degree. This reduces the number of courses required to graduate.
The remaining courses will be completed through various formats: 1) web-enhanced courses, which only require a 3-day residency; 2) Mentored Ministry credit which can be done wherever you presently serve; 3) Semlink courses, our online format; 4) directed studies; and 5) weekend courses. By maximizing these course format offerings, a student can complete the MA in Christian Ministries or in Christian Leadership in as little as 3 years and with only a total of 4 weeks on campus.
* If credit from your Officer Training program was applied toward the completion of an undergraduate degree, advanced standing is not an option. You may participate in the other benefits associated with this partnership, but you will be required to complete the full 60 or 90 hours depending on the respective degree program.
Admission Requirements and Procedures
Salvation Army officers with an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution of higher learning are eligible to apply. The following are necessary for admission consideration:
- Complete sections I-VII and XI of the degree application.
- In lieu of recommendations, please request a letter from your supervisor verifying your eligibility.
- Request official transcripts sent directly from all colleges and universities attended, including the School for Officer Training.
- We'll even waive the $50 application fee!