Diploma in Practical Ministry
Develop a solid theological and biblical foundation for ministry while engaging in the urban church mission and the diverse needs of the city through the Diploma in Practical Ministry program. In collaboration with area churches, this diploma program is especially designed for aspiring church leaders, everyday professionals and skilled workers seeking to becoming theologically grounded, and individuals seeking to improve their practical ministry skills.
- Affordable tuition rates
- Convenient course scheduling
- One-day-per-week program
- Peer group or individual learning formats
- Practical ministry focus
- Credit and non-credit course offerings
- Matriculation into M.A. degree program
This is an off-site program for area churches in Springfield, MA; Hartford, CT; and Providence, RI. Some courses will be offered at the Boston campus; others will be offered at one of the area churches.
The Diploma in Practical Ministry requires 10 courses over a one- to three-year period:
- Critical Thinking and Academic Writing Skills for Ministry
- New Testament Survey
- Church and Community
- Spiritual Formation for Ministry
- Christian Leadership in Ministry
- Educational Ministry of the Church
- Introduction to Preaching: Principles & Practice & Preaching Clinic
- Family & Youth Ministry
- Church History to the Reformation
- New Testament: Life of Jesus
Standard tuition and fees for the Boston campus apply.
If you wish to pursue any of our master’s degrees, you must apply and be admitted to the program. Gordon-Conwell awards full graduate credit for courses successfully completed in the diploma program, and will transfer courses into the Master of Arts in Urban Ministry Leadership or the Master of Divinity degree. Learn more about our master’s degrees.
- GRE or high school diploma required (although a bachelor's degree is not required, this program is intended for the serious student).
- Apply today!