Step 6: Visit a U.S. Embassy or Consulate
Schedule your appointment at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate as soon as you receive notice that you have been granted an I-20.
- Locate the nearest embassy in your home country
Many embassies/consulates recommend that appointments be made no more than 90 days from the intended date of travel, but some can make earlier arrangements for interviews.
- Be aware of estimated visa wait times at the embassy or consulate you plan to visit.
Things to Bring:
- Your passport
- Form I-20, and all financial documents used to apply for your I-20
- SEVIS fee receipt
- Two passport-size (37mm x 37mm) photographs
- You will complete Form-OF 156 (Nonimmigrant Visa Application Form) along with any supplementary forms required by the particular embassy or consulate.
- On occasion, a Visa Officer may require evidence of English proficiency sufficient to pursue your proposed program of study as well as proof of economic/social ties to your native country.
- Be ready, if possible, to submit additional information with visa application