Goddard Library Orientation
A New Student's Guide to the Goddard Library
Welcome to Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary!
The Goddard Library exists to support you during your time at seminary. Items in our collection focus on biblical studies, church history, theology, pastoral ministry, world missions, and evangelism, with special attention given to the evangelical tradition.
Library Resources Available
- Seven librarians dedicated to serving you!
- Over 250,000 items, including books, DVD's, CD's and journals. You can search for titles at the Goddard Library using the Online Catalog.
- A host of online databases, books and journals! Familiarize yourself with our Online Databases page! These resources are available both on- and off-campus with the same login information that you use to access GCTS webmail.
- Wireless internet access in the library reading rooms (network ports are also available for computers without wireless access)
- Printing ($0.15 / black and white page; $0.30 / color page). Instructions for printing over the wireless network are available.
- 12 PC's and 1 Mac for library research & email
- Office supplies (stapler, paperclips, tape, etc.)
- Copiers ($0.10 / page)
- Copiers can also scan documents to PDF and send to your email address.
- NEW! An overhead book scanner will produce searchable PDF's, Word Documents or even Audio Files of scanned documents.
If you need to contact the library staff for any reason - to suggest a purchase, suggest a service, or to ask a reference question, you can contact the library through our Ask a Librarian! contact page (linked at the bottom of the left navigation menu on all library pages).
Before You Check Out Books...
- Be sure to bring your seminary ID. The library does not check out items or administer tests to patrons without their ID. If you lose your ID, ask for a temporary one at the Registration Office.
- Familiarize yourself with the library's circulation policies!
- Read and consent to the overdue book policy.
- Get a BTI card (if you are planning to check books out from one of the Boston Theological Institute libraries).
- Circulating Books: up to 25 items for 28 days
- Reserve Materials: up to 2 items for 3 hours (most items can leave the library, but all must be returned on time). A list of reserve materials is available through the Online Catalog.
- Videos & DVD's: 3 videos & 2 DVD's for 7 days
- CD's: 5 items for 7 days
- Reference Materials & Periodicals cannot be checked out, they must be used in-house.
- Inter-Library Loan: You can request books from other libraries. The checkout period is determined by the lending library.
- Items can be renewed online or in person at the front desk.
- Circulating books can be renewed 5 times for 28 days each renewal. (Renewals are not allowed if the book has been placed on hold.)
- Reserve items can be renewed an unlimited number of times unless the item is in high-demand by other students.
- DVD's and CD's cannot be renewed.
- Inter-Library Loan items are renewed at the discretion of the lending library. Request renewals by emailing email@example.com.
- BTI books are renewed at the discretion of the lending library. Request renewals by contacting the lending library directly.
A item that Goddard Library owns that has been checked out by another patron can be placed on hold. To place a book on hold, click the "Request Item" button on the item details page in the library catalog. Log in (if necessary) and fill out the form as instructed.
Items not owned by Goddard Library may be requested for inter-library loan. To request an item, click the "Request Item" button, login on the item details page in the library catalog. Log in (if necessary) and fill out the form as instructed.
Boston Theological Institute Libraries:
As a student, you have access to several world-class theological libraries in the Boston area through the Boston Theological Institute. Familiarize yourself with the BTI library policies. For instance, you must obtain a BTI library card BEFORE attempting to borrow books from BTI schools.
Consult the Circulation Policies for the fines for overdue items.
Consult the Goddard Library web site for changes to the library hours.
Monday – Thursday: 7:45 a.m. – 11:00 p.m.
The library is closed for all-campus Chapel, Wednesdays from 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. during the Fall and Spring semesters.
- Friday: 7:45 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday: 9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Sunday: Closed
- Holidays: The library is open Columbus Day, Veterans' Day. The library is closed Thursday, Friday and Saturday of the Thanksgiving holiday, and from Christmas Eve through New Year's Day.
- Snow Days: The library is closed any time that seminary administration has canceled classes due to inclement weather.