Goddard Library Orientation
A New Student's Guide to the Goddard Library
The Goddard Library exists to support you during your time at seminary. Items in our collection focus on biblical studies, church history, theology, pastoral ministry, world missions, and evangelism, with special attention given to the evangelical tradition.
Library Resources Available
- Over 250,000 items, including books, DVD's, CD's and journals. You can search for titles at the Goddard Library using the Online Catalog.
- A host of online databases, books and journals! Familiarize yourself with our Online Databases page! These resources are available both on- and off-campus with the same login information that you use to access GCTS webmail.
- Wireless internet access in the library reading rooms (network ports are also available for computers without wireless access)
- Printing ($0.10 / black and white page; $0.30 / color page). Instructions for printing over the wireless network are available.
- 12 PC's and 1 Mac for library research & email
- Office supplies (stapler, paperclips, tape, etc.)
- Study carrels (see the Circulation Desk for availability)
- Copiers ($0.10 / page)
- Scanners that will scan documents to PDF and send to your email address.
If you need to contact the library staff for any reason - to suggest a purchase, to place a hold, or to ask a reference question, you can contact the library through our Ask a Librarian! contact page (linked at the bottom of the left navigation menu on all library pages).
Before You Check Out Books...
- Fill out a new patron application if necessary. You will need to set up an account before you can check out books.
- Be sure to bring your seminary ID. The library does not check out items or administer tests to patrons without their ID. If you lose your ID, ask for a temporary one at the Registration Office.
- Familiarize yourself with the library's circulation policies!
- Circulating Books: up to 25 items for 28 days
- Reserve Materials: up to 2 items for 2 hours (items must remain in library) a list of reserve materials is available through the Online Catalog.
- Videos & DVD's: 3 videos & 2 DVD's for 7 days
- Cassettes & CD's: 5 items for 7 days
- Reference Materials & Periodicals cannot be checked out, they must be used in-house.
- Inter-Library Loan: You can request books from other libraries. The checkout period is determined by the lending library.
- Circulating books can be renewed twice for 28 days each renewal. (Renewals are not allowed if the book has been placed on hold.)
- Reserve items can be renewed an unlimited number of times unless the item is in high-demand by other students.
- DVD's, VHS tapes, and CD's cannot be renewed.
- Inter-Library Loan items are renewed at the discretion of the lending library.
A item that has been checked out by another patron can be placed on hold. To place a book on hold, contact the library through Ask a Librarian! contact page. Be sure to fill out all required information and the title and call number of the book you'd like to place on hold.
You can request books not found in our library (or books that are checked out from our library or on Reserve). See instructions.
Consult the Circulation Policies for the fines for overdue items.
Consult the Goddard Library web site for changes to the library hours.
- Monday – Thursday: 7:45 a.m. – 11:00 p.m.
- Friday: 7:45 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday: 9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Sunday: Closed
- Holidays: The library is open Columbus Day, Veterans' Day. The library is closed Thursday, Friday and Saturday of the Thanksgiving holiday, and from Christmas Eve through New Year's Day.
- Snow Days: The library is closed any time that seminary administration has canceled classes due to inclement weather.