Overseas Missions Practicum FAQ's
- Do I have to sign up for a class to go on OMP?
- Are the classes required for participation in OMP?
- Do only missions majors go on OMP?
- Can I get Mentored Ministry credit for OMP?
- Can the non-GCTS spouse of a GCTS student participate in the OMP program?
- Can an OMP trip be scheduled during a semester other than summer?
- Can I go on an OMP through a ministry that is not in the annually published brochure that comes out each Fall?
- Where do I get the funds for the trip?
- What is the OMP Fund?
- Do I need to apply? When?
Overseas Missions Practicum Answers
- Q:Do I have to sign up for a class to go on OMP?
Yes, OMP is an official class of GCTS. Actually, it is two courses: the OMP orientation class (WM 720) which meets three weekends each spring semester AND the summer experience (WM 721) which should be signed up for during Summer Session 1, regardless of when in the summer your OMP experience is scheduled. WM 720 and 721 are each worth 3 credits.Top
- Q:Are the classes required for participation in OMP?
If you are in the MAME degree, yes. If you are in another degree program and do not need the credits you may register for an OFFICIAL AUDIT for the classes. However, every person who participates in OMP must attend the three weekend classes (either by audit or for full credit).Top
- Q:Do only missions majors go on OMP?
No, actually the majority of students who participate are in the MDiv Missions Track or in the general MDiv degree program.Top
- Q:Can I get Mentored Ministry credit for OMP?
Yes! All approved OMP projects are eligible for two mentored ministry credits with proper registration. See the Mentored Ministry Office for more details.Top
- Q:Can the non-GCTS spouse of a GCTS student participate in the OMP program?
Yes. We believe that, whenever possible, couples should share together in such an important preparation for the mission field as OMP. However, the non-student spouse is still required to attend all sessions of the OMP orientation class and becomes a full member of the team and is therefore responsible for raising his/her support like everyone else.Top
- Q:Can an OMP trip be scheduled during a semester other than summer?
Yes. But the OMP Orientation class (WM720) must be completed in the Spring semester prior to the trip, and Dr. Borthwick must give prior approval.Top
- Q:Can I go on an OMP through a ministry that is not in the annually published brochure that comes out each Fall?
Yes, but it must meet the following criteria:
- A project must be a minimum of a six-week experience.
- The project and ministry must be appropriately supervised by a field mentor who has been approved by the Mentored Ministry Office.
- Each project must have an on-site mentor who can meet the criteria predetermined by the Mentored Ministry Office and the Director of Mission Programs.
- The ministry must belong to one of the following networks:
- The Director of Missions Programs must grant approval in writing to enable the student to utilize OMP name and funds.
- The student must have the support of a local church.
- The student must take (or audit) WM 720, OMP Orientation.
- Q:Where do I get the funds for the trip?
Each student is responsible for fund raising, although everyone is working to raise funds for their team as a whole. If you have never done this before, don't worry! The orientation class will address the topic of how to raise support. Also see next question.Top
- Q:What is the OMP Fund?
The OMP fund is a common fund used to raise money to support all approved OMP projects. We raise money as a group, not as individuals. If one or two people in the group have shortfalls, the fundraising of the group will make up for it. In other words, it is a cooperative effort! Donations sent to the GCTS OMP fund become tax-deductible gifts. Funds raised in excess of costs will remain in the OMP fund. However, no money can be sent to Gordon-Conwell for your trip unless it is part of the OMP fund.Top
Most students find the OMP fund a wonderful provision to assist in going overseas. However, it is not required. A student may prefer to raise money independently of the OMP fund, through their local church or through direct appeals. In this case, funds are raised individually, not for the team.
- Q:Do I need to apply? When?
Yes. Forms are available in the main hall of the library building or in the Wilson Center for World Missions and may be returned to Kristin Gelinas via Box 201 or in room 350 in the Academic Center. Applications are due November 17, 2010.Top
General Team Application
Uttermost Parts Team Application
Guidelines for OMP Mentors
OMP Mentor Application
Contact Kristin Gelinas - Global Programs Administrator