The Shepherd’s Fund
What is The Shepherd’s Fund?
The Shepherd’s Fund was founded to help retired ministers, their spouses and legal dependents, by providing financial assistance when medical issues arise and create financial hardship.
How does it work?
Retired ministers or surviving spouses who are Gordon-Conwell or Gordon Divinity School graduates and experiencing a health care crisis can apply for assistance up to $10,000 to help pay medical, hospital and other healthcare-related bills. Ministers may also apply for additional grants of up to $10,000 for spouses or legal dependents with medical needs. Applications for up to $10,000 for each individual may be submitted every year for those who experience ongoing or additional need. Assistance for both direct and indirect medical expenses may be requested from The Shepherd’s Fund, including medical bills, travel, and household expenses for the individual and family.
- A retired minister is undergoing out-of-state cancer treatments and can’t easily afford for their spouse to travel with them. This minister could apply to The Shepherd Fund for a grant for up to $10,000 to pay for travel and lodging for their spouse.
- A retired minister and spouse experience a major medical issue in the same year. The minister could apply for two separate grants of $10,000.
- A widow or widower of a retired minister needs hearing aids, significant dental work and follow-up appointments for more than one year. The surviving spouse can apply for an additional grant of up to $10,000 each year, as needed.
- The Shepherd’s Fund is aware that medical and financial issues can be highly complicated and situational. Anyone who qualifies for a grant but might be facing a unique situation not specified above is still highly encouraged to apply. The committee will review requests on a case-by-case basis.
Do I Qualify?
The only qualifications for application for this grant are:
- Graduate (or surviving spouse of a graduate) of Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary or Gordon Divinity School
- Retired from ministry in good standing
- Have a financial need arising from a medical issue
- Apply to the grant through Gordon-Conwell using one of the application links below.
- Gordon-Conwell will send qualifying applications to The Shepherd’s Fund committee for review.
- Approved applications are referred to a specialist who will qualify the need and coordinate with the family.
- Qualified grants will be coordinated and distributed by the fund, most often directly to the payee (physician, hospital, utility, airline, etc.).
- Follow-up will be conducted to ensure that the grant has been delivered successfully and help with any needs or issues that arise.
If you have any questions about the The Shepherd’s Fund at Gordon-Conwell, please contact our Alumni Office by email at [email protected] or by phone at (978) 646-4272.
Apply Online Download a Paper Application