Special Instructions

Learn more about how you can apply to join us at the Gordon-Conwell CUME campus!

International Students

The international student community at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary is diverse, thriving, and valued by the entire Gordon-Conwell community.  Our current international students on all our campuses represent 50 countries, including Australia, the UK, South Korea, Brazil, China, Nigeria, Uganda, Macedonia, Haiti, the Philippines, Ethiopia, and many more.

Application Instructions
(International Students)

Transfer Students

A student applying for transfer from another seminary or graduate school is requested to submit a full application (which includes: three letters of recommendations, one church endorsement, official transcripts, an autobiography statement, and a personal statement), including a “Statement of Explanation and Purpose” for the proposed transfer. You can include this explanation in your Personal Statement. Transfer credit will only be evaluated for applicants who have submitted a full application. Apply online today!

Transfer credit is normally granted for coursework taken at other Association of Theological Schools (ATS)-accredited, graduate-level seminaries. Up to 50 percent of a student’s program can be met by transfer credit. Only a limited amount of elective credit can be given for coursework taken at seminaries which are not accredited by ATS.

Students transferring from recognized seminaries or graduate schools are given an evaluation of transfer credit upon request. As a general rule, such transfer credit will be approved only if comparable courses are included in Gordon-Conwell’s curriculum. Maximum transfer credit is forty-five credit hours (or fifteen courses) for the M.Div. program, thirty credit hours (or ten courses) for the Master of Arts programs. Transfer credit is not granted for work completed more than ten years prior to matriculation at Gordon-Conwell.

Any person desiring a transcript evaluation for transfer credit prior to matriculation should request such in writing to the registrar, accompanied by a transcript, a list of proposed courses projected for transfer, and a copy of the course descriptions from the academic catalog where the courses were taken.

Campus Transfer

Students wishing to transfer from Gordon-Conwell’s Hamilton, Charlotte or Jacksonville campuses to the Boston Campus (CUME) must fill out the Transfer Application Form available below. Campus Transfer applications should be submitted at least one month before the start of the semester you wish to apply. Students wishing to transfer from CUME to either the Hamilton, Charlotte or Jacksonville campuses must request applications from whichever campus they wish to attend.

Apply: Change of Status

Degree Transfer

Any matriculated student who wishes to change status from one degree program to another program must be in good standing and submit a Change of Current Degree Application to the Admissions Office.

Degree Transfer students should submit a Change of Status Application including:

  • A short statement (1 page) about why you want to change your status
  • One recommendation from a GCTS faculty member

No action will be taken until an application is complete and a written notification regarding a decision will be sent to the applicant.

Apply: Change of Status

Reactivate Status

Student files become inactive after two years of not taking a class. Inactive students should submit a new application online to reactivate their student status.

Apply Online

Visiting Student

If you are currently a student in good standing at another accredited seminary, you are welcome to take classes at Gordon-Conwell.

There is an abbreviated application process for Visiting Students. On the application, make sure you select “Visiting Student” as your degree. Mark “Semlink” if you are planning to take classes through our distance education program. We require that you submit a letter from your Academic Dean or Registrar indicating that you are currently a student in good standing at your seminary and that coursework from Gordon-Conwell will be applied to your degree requirements there. You do not need to send recommendations, personal statements or transcripts.

In summary, a visiting student should complete the following:

  • Online application form (link below), including application essays
  • Transcripts are not required.
  • Please submit a letter from your Academic Dean or Registrar indicating that you are currently a student in good standing at your seminary and that coursework from Gordon-Conwell will be applied to your studies there.

Apply: Visiting Students

You Can Afford Seminary

Financial aid is available.

Learn More