Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

F-1 students may use Curricular Practical Training to obtain off-campus work authorization for internships or other work required for their degree program. Students are eligible for CPT if:

  • they are in current active F-1 status, and
  • they have been enrolled in their academic program for a full academic year by the start of the internship.

The following degree programs at Gordon-Conwell—Charlotte have required internships or Mentored Ministry rotations that are eligible for CPT:

  • Master of Divinity
  • M.A. in Christian Counseling-CMH
  • M.A. in Christian Counseling-MFT
  • M.A. in Christian Leadership
  • M.A. in Christian MInistries

The student's degree program must require this off-campus employment, OR the student must be able to register for a credit-bearing course in your program that requires the employment to complete the course. In order to apply, students must first have a job offer, and then follow the instructions below.

  1. Submit the CPT Request Form to the International Student Office.
  2. Download the CPT FAQ Sheet.
  3. Meet with your advisor or course professor to review the Confirmation of Academic Necessity requirement. Your advisor must fill this out to complete your request.
  4. Apply for CPT authorization at least two weeks before you plan on beginning your job. Schedule an International Student Advising Appointment as soon as possible. The International Student Advisor will create a new I-20 for you at this meeting.

Questions? Contact the International Student Office at or call 704-527-9909.