Veterans' Benefits

Be sure to submit these two forms every semester in which you register for courses and wish to receive VA benefits.


Gordon-Conwell—Charlotte School Certifying Official (SCO)

Megan J. Robinson, Assistant Director of Enrollment Management-Admission

704-527-9909  |

Where to Start

Supplement VA/DOD Benefits with Financial Aid

  • Apply for financial aid by completing a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Assistance).
  • Visit the GCTS Financial Aid webpage.
  • Contact the Financial Aid Office (978-646-4018) or email 
    • Discuss state and federal aid possibilities, scholarships, and/or payment plans if your military benefit coverage is less than 100 percent, or if you will soon exhaust military benefit.
  • Tuition Assistance students: See “Tuition Assistance” below.

Know Your Responsibilities

  • Request certification by submitting two forms every semester:
  • To receive full benefits, a student must be enrolled in full-time studies. Gordon-Conwell-Charlotte calculates full-time as seven (7) credit hours.
  • Notify your SCO when adding, dropping, or withdrawing from any courses and if there are any changes to your personal information (mailing address, phone).
  • If you drop, withdraw, or audit a course, you may be required to repay any VA/DoD money you received for these courses.
  • Take only required courses for your degree program; only these can be certified to the VA or paid for using Tuition Assistance.
  • Notify the Registrar and the SCO if you encounter personal issues that impede your ability to complete your studies satisfactorily or by the academic deadlines.
  • Understand the impact of credit hours on certification enrollment: benefits are distributed based on the level of enrollment you choose each semester (number of credits that are certified).
  • Be aware that the same number of months of benefit are used whether you are a full- or part-time student. Check current Student Handbook for status definitions.

Apply for Benefits

Benefits pay for some or all of your educational expenses, which include tuition, fees, and books. Some benefits also provide a monthly housing allowance. The two sources of military benefits are the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) and the Department of Defense (DoD). VA benefits are called the GI Bill®, and DoD benefits are called Tuition Assistance.

Begin Your Studies

  • Attend Orientation to receive academic advising, complete tasks required for registration, and meet other students, staff, and faculty.
  • Register online for courses and contact your SCO to request certification for the term.
  • Buy books: purchase books as soon as possible; not all benefits provide a stipend for books and supplies.

Department of Veteran Affairs

Tuition Assistance

Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is a benefit for eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard. Each service has its own application process, criteria for eligibility, and restrictions. For service specific information, see the links below and click on the comparison tool.

“GI Bill®” is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at