The complexities of our contemporary world raise ethical questions that the Church and Christians are often not equipped to tackle. This course will explore some of those issues in the areas of sexual ethics and bioethics, in light of God’s Word and a Christian worldview. Among the issues to be addressed are: a theology of sexuality, premarital sex, same sex relations, transgender, reproductive technologies, abortion, stem cell research, bio-technologies, treatment termination, and euthanasia. Attention is given to how the Church and Christians can address these issues in congregations and Christian organizations, as well as secular, pluralistic contexts. (This course meets the ethics requirement for various degrees or can serve as an elective.)
- To gain a descriptive understanding of the issues.
- To learn to apply biblical and theological (i.e. Christian worldview) thinking to the issues.
- To develop spiritually-informed, discerning wisdom in seeking the ethically good amidst moral ambiguities and complexities.
- To develop sensitivity in our pastoral responses to people grappling with these issues.
- To develop appropriate responses to our culture as it faces these ethical issues.
- To gain perspective for applying Christian ethics to professional settings.
Selected Reading List
- Beilby, James and Eddy, Paul eds. Understanding Transgender Identities: Four Views. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2019.(ISBN 978-1-5409-6244-7)
- Duff, Nancy J. Making Faithful Decisions at the End of Life. Louisville: Westminster John Knox Press, 2018. (ISBN 978-0-664-26319-5)
- Hill, Wesley. Washed and Waiting: Reflections On Christian Faithfulness and Homosexuality. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Zondervan, 2010. (ISBN 978-0-3103-3003-5)
- Hollinger, Dennis P. The Meaning of Sex: Christian Ethics and the Moral Life. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2009. (ISBN 978-0-8010-3571-5)
- Meilaender, Gilbert. Bioethics: A Primer for Christians. 3rd edition. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2013. (ISBN 978-0-8028-2909-2)
- Vandrunen, David. Bioethics and the Christian Life: A Guide to Making Difficult Decisions. Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2009. (ISBN 1-4335-0144-9)