• Get In Touch

    Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    130 Essex Street
    South Hamilton, MA 01982
    (978) 468-7111
    Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. M-F

  • Course Syllabi »

    Get the most recent course syllabi.

  • Out and About (PDF) »

    Information about attractions and places around campus and the North Shore.

Veterans' Benefits

Welcome Veterans! 

Review the information on this page or download the Veteran Checklist. 

Contact a SCO (School Certifying Official—see list below) if you have questions about any information on this page or the checklist.

First Things

  • Apply for admission to the Hamilton or Boston campus. Be sure to declare yourself as a veteran or dependent if you plan to use benefits to cover tuition and fees.
  • Apply for benefits here: https://www.vets.gov/education/apply/. If you’re not sure which benefits to use, see “Apply for Benefits” below.
  • Submit a copy of your COE (Certificate of Eligibility) to your VA School Certifying Official (SCO). You should receive this document approximately four-to-six weeks after you apply.
  • Tuition Assistance students: See “Tuition Assistance” below.

Supplement VA/DOD Benefits with Financial Aid

  • Apply for financial aid by completing a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Assistance).
  • Visit the GCTS Financial Aid webpage.
  • Meet with a Financial Aid Counselor: make an appointment by calling the Financial Aid Office (978-646-4018) or emailing finaid@gcts.edu to discuss state and federal aid possibilities, scholarships, and/or payment plans if your military benefit coverage is less than 100 percent, or if you will soon exhaust military benefits.

Meet with Academic Advisors, Register for Courses, Certify Enrollment

  • Attend Orientation to receive academic advising, complete tasks required for registration, and meet other students, staff, and faculty.
  • Schedule a personal academic advising appointment with the assistant registrar to discuss course registration, degree requirements, transfer credit, and to plan out your degree program.
  • Register & Certify: register online for courses and contact your SCO to request certification for the term.
  • Buy books: purchase books as soon as possible; not all benefits provide a stipend for books and supplies.

Know Your Responsibilities

  • Contact your SCO before the start of each term to request enrollment certification.
  • Notify your SCO when adding, dropping, or withdrawing from any courses and with any changes to your personal information (mailing address, phone). If you drop, withdraw, or audit a course, you may be required to repay any VA/DoD money you received for these courses.
  • Take only required courses for your degree program; only these can be certified to the VA or paid for using Tuition Assistance.
  • Notify your SCO if you encounter personal issues that impede your ability to complete your studies satisfactorily or by the academic deadlines. The sooner we know, the more proactive we can be with recommendations.
  • Understand the impact of credit hours on certification enrollment (Chapter 33): benefits are distributed based on the level of enrollment you choose each semester (number of credits that are certified); be aware that the same number of months of benefit are used whether you are a full- or part-time student. Check current Student Handbook for status definitions.

Contacts – GCTS School Certifying Officials

The Registration Office                                                                       Financial Services Office         
978-646-4551                                                                                     978-646-4045
regstr@gcts.edu                                                                                 finserv@gcts.edu
Serving Post 9/11 GI Bill and all other Chapters                                    Serving VocRehab, Chaplaincy, 
except VocRehab                                                                               Tuition Assistance, and DMin 

Apply for Benefits

Benefits pay for some or all of your educational expenses, which include tuition, fees, and books. Some benefits also provide a monthly housing allowance. The two sources of military benefits are the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) and the Department of Defense (DoD). VA benefits are called the GI Bill®, and DoD benefits are called Tuition Assistance.

Department of Veteran Affairs
Apply online (for all benefits except Chapter 35) here and upload necessary documentation as instructed (i.e., recent DD214, Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE), change of program or place of training request). Find FAQs at the GI Bill Help Desk, call 1-888-GI- BILL-1 (442-4551), or use the GI Bill Comparison Tool.

Chapter 30 Montgomery Gill
Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (VR&E)
Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill
Yellow Ribbon Program
Chapter 35 Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program
Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve
Chapter 1607 Reserve Educational Assistance Program

Tuition Assistance
Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is a benefit for eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard. Each service has its own application process, criteria for eligibility, and restrictions. For service specific information, see the links below and click on the comparison tool.

Tuition Assistance DECIDE – Department of Defense Comparison Tool

“GI Bill®” is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.