• Get In Touch

    Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    Online Degree Programs
    14542 Choate Circle
    Charlotte, NC 28273
    Toll-Free: (855) 211-2474

  • Join the Conversation!

    Join other students, faculty and staff as they share their seminary journey.



Online Master of Arts in Christian Leadership (MACL)

What is the online MACL degree?

Learn to lead with the new online Master of Arts in Christian Leadership (MACL). The MACL program combines substantial biblical and theological learning with flexible leadership training for diverse roles and callings found both inside and outside of the church. Designed with the working professional in mind, the MACL gives students the opportunity to earn their degree without having to relocate and/or sacrifice their family, ministry, or work obligations.

Who should consider the online MACL degree?

The MACL offers excellent academic training and practical leadership skills for those who have diverse callings and are interested in an integrative theological education that provides grounding in multiple disciplines. Combined with the hands-on training through the Mentored Ministry program, the MACL enhances students? proficiency in serving the Lord and leading others. Upon graduating, MACL students enter and continue in a wide-range of vocations including:

  • Pastors (Senior, Youth, Family, Children, Worship, Executive, Discipleship, etc.)
  • Para-church Leaders and Staff
  • Non-Profit Leaders and Staff
  • Marketplace Leaders
  • Community Organizers
  • Church and Ministry Leaders
  • Missionaries
  • Teachers

How long does it take?

The online MACL program is designed to be completed in as few as three (3) years taking two (2) classes per semester. However, some students choose to pursue a more accelerated route (more classes per semester), while others are more comfortable taking one (1) class at a time. The program is flexible enough to accommodate the pace needed by each student.

Can the program be taken entirely online?

Up to 67% (40 credit hours) of the online MACL program can be taken fully online. The remaining 33% (21 credit hours) can be completed through a combination of online course work and intensive residency experiences. Over the three-year period, a student taking two classes a semester can complete the degree having spent as few as four (4) weeks (about one week per year) in Charlotte, North Carolina or other designated residency locations. In addition, students also complete supervised Leadership Internship rotations locally.

In addition, online MACL students have the additional optional benefit of taking classes at any of Gordon-Conwell's four campuses (South Hamilton, MA; Boston, MA; Charlotte, NC; Jacksonville, FL) or classes held at other locations both within the United States and internationally.

What courses will I take?

In addition to core online classes in areas like Bible, theology, missions, church history, and spiritual formation, the MACL program features concentration courses in areas such as leadership, conflict management, team building, communications, and management, as well as practical Internship opportunities. A list of courses is provided below:

Click here to download the online MACL degree program checksheet.

Core Courses:

  • OT500: Old Testament Survey (required in first year)
  • NT501: New Testament Survey (required in first year)
  • NT/OT517: Interpreting the Bible
  • CL/NT/OT574: Biblical Theology of Leadership
  • TH501: Theology Survey I
  • TH502: Theology Survey II
  • CH501: Church History to the Reformation
  • CH502: Church History Since the Reformation
  • Ethics Elective (Any ET Course)
  • World Missions/Evangelism Elective (Any WM or EV Course)

Concentration Courses:

  • CL503: Foundations for Leadership
  • CL630: The Person of the Christian Leader
  • CL640: Managing Conflict
  • CL650: The Christian Leader as Communicator
  • CL660: Church and Non-Profit Management
  • CL670: Team and Team Building
  • Three Internship Rotations in Leadership

Other Courses:

  • 2 General Electives
  • CT500: Introduction to Theological Research (1 credit hour, required in first year)

Capstone Course

  • CL720: Christian Leadership Project

To get a feel for the courses above, click here to view current course syllabi.

Ready to apply or want to learn more?

If you are ready to begin your seminary journey, we invite you to start your application today. Have questions and would like to speak with someone? We invite you to fill out an information request or give us a call toll-free at (855) 211-2474 to get in contact with one of our representatives.