Online Master of Arts in Christian Ministries (MACM)
What is the online MACM degree?
The Master of Arts in Christian Ministries (MACM) is Gordon Conwell's newest online degree program.
This degree combines substantial biblical and theological learning with flexible ministry training for diverse roles and callings found both inside and outside of the church. Designed with the working professional in mind, the MACM gives students the opportunity to earn their degree without having to relocate and/or sacrifice their family, ministry, or work obligations.
Who should consider the online MACM degree?
The MACM offers excellent academic training and practical ministry skills for those who have diverse callings and are interested in an integrative theological education that provides grounding in multiple disciplines. Combined with the hands-on training through the Mentored Ministry program, the MACM enhances students’ proficiency in serving the Lord and others. Upon graduating, MACM students enter and continue in a wide-range of vocations including:
- Pastors (Senior, Youth, Family, Children, Worship, Executive, Discipleship, etc.)
- Para-church Leaders and Staff
- Non-Profit Leaders and Staff
- Community Organizers
- Church Leaders (Elders/Deacons, Small Groups, Men's and Women's Ministries, etc.)
- Ministry Leaders
- Marketplace Leaders
How long does it take?
The online MACM program is designed to be completed in as little as three (3) years taking two (2) classes per semester. However, some students choose to pursue a more accelerated route (more classes per semester), while others are more comfortable taking one (1) class at a time. The program is flexible enough to accommodate the pace needed by each student.
Can the program be taken entirely online?
Up to 50% of the online MACM program can be taken fully online. The remaining 50% can be completed through a combination of online course work and intensive residency experiences. Over the three-year period, a student taking two classes a semester can complete the degree having spent as few as 4 to 5 weeks in Charlotte, North Carolina or other designated residency locations. In addition, students also complete supervised Mentored Ministry rotations locally.
In addition, online MACM students have the additional optional benefit of taking classes at any of Gordon-Conwell's four campuses (South Hamilton, MA; Boston, MA; Charlotte, NC; Jacksonville, FL) or classes held at other locations both within the United States and internationally.
What courses will I take?
In addition to core online classes in areas like Bible, theology, missions, church history, and spiritual formation, the MAR program features online concentration courses in leadership, counseling, and education as well as practical Mentored Ministry opportunities. A list of courses is provided below:
Click here to download the online MACM checksheet.
- OT500: Old Testament Survey
- NT501: New Testament Survey
- OT/NT517: Interpreting the Bible
- TH501: Theology Survey I
- TH502: Theology Survey II
- CH501: Church History to the Reformation
- CH502: Church History Since the Reformation
- ET501: Christian Ethics
- WM601: The World Mission of the Church
- MC/SF501: Spiritual Formation
- CL503: Foundations for Leadership
- EM502: Educational Ministry of the Church
- PC511: Intro. to Pastoral Counseling
- CL640: Managing Conflict
- MC585: The Christian Communicator
- Three Rotations of Mentored Ministry
- 2 General Electives
- IS502: Theological Research and Writing Seminar (1 credit hour, must be taken in first term)
- OT/NT594: Biblical Theology
- MC 880/881: Integrative Project/Paper OR MC 850 Readiness for Ministry
Want to hear more about what online MACM courses are like? Watch this video featuring real online MACM students.
Ready to apply or want to learn more?
If you are ready to begin your seminary journey, we invite you to start your application today. Have questions and would like to speak with someone? We invite you to fill out an information request or give us a call toll-free at (855) 211-2474 to get in contact with one of our representatives.