MAR in Christian Ministry
What is the online MAR degree?
The online Masters in Religion (MAR) with a concentration in Christian Ministry is a 61-credit degree program that equips men and women to think biblically and theologically in the face of local and global needs. Designed with the working professional in mind, the part-time online MAR blends engaging online courses with intensive campus residency experiences. Students can pursue their calling without sacrificing their family, ministry, or work obligations.
Who is the degree for?
The online MAR degree with a concentration in Christian Ministry is designed for those who have diverse callings and are interested in an integrative theological education that provides grounding in multiple disciplines. Upon graduating, MAR students have entered and continued in a wide-range of vocations serving as:
- Pastors (Senior, Youth, Family, Children, Worship, Executive, Discipleship, etc.)
- Para-church Leaders and Staff
- Non-Profit Leaders and Staff
- Community Organizers
- Church Leaders (Elders/Deacons, Small Groups, Men's and Women's Ministries, etc.)
- Ministry Leaders
- Marketplace Leaders
How long does it take?
The online MAR program is designed to be completed in as little as three (3) years taking two (2) classes per semester. However, some students choose to pursue a more accelerated route (more classes per semester), while others are more comfortable taking one (1) class at a time. The program is flexible enough to accommodate the pace needed by each student.
Can the program be taken entirely online?
Up to 50% of the online MAR program can be taken fully online. The remaining 50% can be completed through a combination of online course work and intensive residency experiences. Over the three-year period, a student taking two classes a semester can complete the degree having spent as few as 4 to 5 weeks in Charlotte, North Carolina or other designated residency locations. In addition, students also complete supervised Mentored Ministry rotations locally.
What courses will I take?
In addition to core online classes in areas like Bible, theology, missions, church history, and spiritual formation, the MAR program features online concentration courses in leadership, counseling, and education as well as practical Mentored Ministry opportunities. A list of courses is provided below:
Click here to download the MAR in Christian Ministry checksheet.
- OT 500: Old Testament Survey
- NT 501: New Testament Survey
- CL/NT/OT 574: Biblical Theology of Leadership
- OT/NT 517: Interpreting the Bible
- TH 501: Theology Survey I
- TH 502: Theology Survey II
- CH 501: Church History to the Reformation
- CH 502: Church History Since the Reformation
- ET 501: Christian Ethics
- WM 601: The World Mission of the Church
- MC 501: Spiritual Formation
- CL 503: Foundations for Leadership
- EM 502: Educational Ministry of the Church
- PC 511: Intro. to Pastoral Counseling
- CL 640: Managing Conflict
- MC XXX: The Christian Communicator
- Three Rotations of Mentored Ministry
- 2 General Electives
- MC 880/881: Integrative Project/Paper
- IS502: Theological Research and Writing Seminar (1 credit hour, must be taken in first term)
Want to hear more about what online MAR courses are like? Watch this video featuring real online MAR students.
Ready to apply or want to learn more?
If you are ready to begin your seminary journey, we invite you to start your application today. Have questions and would like to speak with someone? We invite you to fill out an information request or give us a call toll-free at (855) 211-2474 to get in contact with one of our representatives.