Application Process - Gordon Conwell

Before You Apply

Check the requirements for the specific program you’re interested in applying to:


Standard Application Process

During the application process, applicants must affirm both Gordon-Conwell's Statement of Faith and Community Life Statement.

In general, you will be asked to complete the following:

  1. Application Form
  2. Application Fee (Learn More »)
  3. Three References (Learn More »)
  4. Official Transcripts (Learn More »)
  5. Two Written Essays (Learn More »)

Also, if English is not your native language, you may be required to submit an English competency score through TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo. Learn More »

Special Instructions

International Students

The international student community at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary is diverse, thriving, and valued by the entire Gordon-Conwell community. Our current international students on all our campuses represent 50 countries, including Australia, the UK, South Korea, Brazil, Nigeria, Madagascar, Haiti, the Philippines, Ethiopia, and many more. The current international students at the main campus represent 40 countries.


Please note that, unfortunately, our Graduate Certificate programs are not eligible for F-1 visas or federal financal aid.


As an Auditor you are only required to complete the following sections of the application:

  • Personal Information
  • Program & Campus — Please list your program as “Auditor-Official”
  • Misc. — Please use this section to provide a 250-word Statement of Intent (Reason you are auditing the course)

Gordon College Partnership

Gordon College undergraduate juniors and seniors may take up to two courses at Gordon-Conwell for graduate credit while enrolled at Gordon College. Gordon College graduate students may also take up to two courses at Gordon-Conwell for credit. There will be no cost to the student for these courses. To take these courses, please reach out to the Gordon College registrar.

E: [email protected] | P: (978) 867 – 4242

IVCF & CCO Program Participants

Through a cooperative program with InterVarsity Christian Fellowship (IVCF) and Coalition for Christian Outreach (CCO), staff with IVCF and CCO may take a limited number of courses for M.Div. or MAR credit at the seminary through IVCF’s National Institute for Staff Education and Training or through CCO’s Summer Institute.

(Note: If you will be a participant in the New England InterVarsity Staff Diploma, please contact us directly for further instructions.)

In order to receive credit for these courses, you must submit a Gordon-Conwell application prior to the start of the course. The full application is required. However, in place of the three recommendation letters, you only need to send a letter from your supervisor confirming your eligibility as a staff member. On the online application, please make sure to follow the instructions on the Special Instructions PDF on the left-hand side.

In summary, InterVarsity and CCO partcipants should complete the following:

  • Application form (preferably online), including application essays
  • Transcripts are required.
  • A letter from your ministry organization which confirms you as a staff member.
  • The Church Endorsement form is required.


Reactivate Status

Student files become inactive after two years of not taking a class. Inactive students should submit a new application online to reactivate their student status.


Transfer Students

A student may receive credit toward graduation by transfer of academic work taken at other accredited graduate schools.

No transfer credit is permitted in the Master of Theology or Doctor of Ministry programs. For all other degrees no more than 50% of a student’s Gordon-Conwell program can be fulfilled through transfer credit, shared credit, or advanced standing.

If a degree was completed at another school accredited by the Association of Theological Schools, up to half of the credits of the completed degree or the Gordon-Conwell degree (whichever is smaller) may be applied to a Gordon-Conwell degree as transfer credit. Unaccredited graduate work is occasionally accepted at partial value, although the general rule is that no more than nine elective hours will be given for such work. Exegesis courses are never transferred.

Transfer evaluations are performed by the Registration Office upon receipt of a request by the student and typically take four weeks to process. To be considered for transfer credit, a grade of “C” or better is required. Transfer courses graded on a pass/fail or satisfactory unsatisfactory basis may be accepted as long as the student still has some pass/fails remaining in his/her Gordon-Conwell degree program. Such transfer courses will reduce the number of pass/fails the student has available at Gordon-Conwell and may limit eligibility for graduation honors (see Pass/Fail Policy). Transferred grades will not be displayed on the transcript nor be used in the computation of the GPA. Transfer credit is not granted for work completed more than ten years prior to matriculation at Gordon-Conwell.

Visiting Students

If you are currently a student in good standing at another accredited seminary, you are welcome to take classes at Gordon-Conwell.

There is an abbreviated application process for Visiting Students. We require that you submit a letter from your Academic Dean or Registrar indicating that you are currently a student in good standing at your seminary and that coursework from Gordon-Conwell will be applied to your degree requirements there. You do not need to send recommendations, personal statements or transcripts.

In summary, a visiting student should complete the following:

  • Application form
  • Transcripts and essays are not required.
  • Please submit a letter from your Academic Dean or Registrar indicating that you are currently a student in good standing at your seminary and that coursework from Gordon-Conwell will be applied to your studies there.



Mature Admission

God calls us from all walks of life and at all stages of life. We understand that not everyone looking to be equipped in ministry has a college degree in hand. Don’t let that stop you from investing in your calling.

Learn More

If you have not yet reviewed our application requirements and process, we encourage you to review the pages and video below to prepare for a successful process.

– DMin tracks have independent deadlines. Learn More »

Have Questions?

Someone from our friendly admissions team would be happy to reach out to you.

Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, national or ethnic origin, age, handicap or veteran status. A complete statement of compliance with federal laws and regulations can be found in the Gordon-Conwell Student Handbook.