Online Certificate in Christian Studies
What is an online Certificate in Christian Studies?
The online Certificate in Christian Studies is a 31-credit program that equips men and women to think biblically and theologically in the face of local and global needs. Designed with the working professional in mind, the part-time online Certificate in Christian Studies program allows students to pursue their calling through engaging online courses without sacrificing their family, ministry, or work obligations.
Who is the certificate for?
The online Certificate in Christian Studies is designed for those who have diverse callings and are interested in receiving training in core biblical and theological subjects. Upon graduating, Certificate students have entered and continued in a wide-range of vocations serving as:
- Pastors (Senior, Youth, Family, Children, Worship, Executive, Discipleship, etc.)
- Para-church Leaders and Staff
- Non-Profit Leaders and Staff
- Community Organizers
- Church Leaders (Elders/Deacons, Small Groups, Men's and Women's Ministries, etc.)
- Ministry Leaders
- Marketplace Leaders
How long does it take?
The online Certificate in Christian Studies can be completed in a little over 1.5 years (five semesters) or at your own pace. The flexibility of the program allows students to take just one to two classes per semester.
Can the program be taken entirely online?
The online Certificate in Christian Studies can be completed 100% online. Students also have an opportunity to participate in optional intensive residencies in Charlotte, North Carolina or other Gordon-Conwell campuses to build upon their online community and learning experience.
What courses will I take?
Students will take the first nine classes listed below and will have an option between WM601 and MC501 as their tenth required class. Students will also take the one-credit Theological Research and Writing (IS502) course in their first term.
Certificate in Christian Studies Courses:
- OT 500: Old Testament Survey
- NT 501: New Testament Survey
- CL/NT/OT 574: Biblical Theology of Leadership
- OT/NT 517: Interpreting the Bible
- TH 501: Theology Survey I
- TH 502: Theology Survey II
- CH 501: Church History to the Reformation
- CH 502: Church History Since the Reformation
- ET 501: Christian Ethics
- WM 601: The World Mission of the Church (choose one)
- MC 501: Spiritual Formation (choose one)
- Download program requirements (pdf.)
Want to hear more about what online courses are like? Watch this video featuring real Gordon-Conwell online students.
Ready to apply or want to learn more?
If you are ready to begin your seminary journey, we invite you to start your application today. Have questions and would like to speak with someone? We invite you to fill out an information request or give us a call toll-free at (855) 211-2474 to get in contact with one of our representatives.