Function: Under the guidance of the Dean of Students and Director of Student Life Services, serves as Director of the Nursery School and provides leadership to the operation of the Nursery School. Is a member of the Student Life Services team.
Capabilities Required: The incumbent must possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education or related field. Hold a Director I or Director II license with the MA Department of Early Education and Care (ECC). Possess demonstrated skill and effectiveness in leadership, as well excellent organizational, written and oral communication, including listening skills. Excellent interpersonal, problem-solving and computer skills are required. Also required is the ability to communicate effectively at all organizational levels, including people of different cultures; ability to manage multiple projects/tasks, and ability to work flexible and non-traditional hours.
Use of Capabilities
- Recruit, hire, and supervise all staff;
- Manage staff schedules and coverage to ensure compliance with school policy and EEC.
- Ensure that performance reviews are conducted with all staff at least once per year.
- Provide opportunities for staff development and training.
- Plan and facilitate monthly staff and curriculum meetings.
- Maintain timesheets and time off requests for all staff.
- Assign and oversee the responsibilities of the Assistant to the Director.
- Train the Assistant to the Director to be in charge when Director is not present.
- Collaborate with teachers in developing a curriculum which incorporates Developmental Appropriate Practices (DAP) which align with the EEC’s “Guidelines for Preschool Learning Experiences”. And oversee the implementation of these experiences.
- Plan and organize enrichment activities (i.e. visit by Wenham Museum, Audubon Ark or musician).
- Collaborate with Dean of Student, set a yearly budget for GCNS based on projected student enrollment, teacher salaries/wages and controllable costs.
- Collaborate with the Human Resource office in hiring new teaching staff and determining salary or wages.
- Maintain all accounts receivable/payable; submit checks, cash and bills in a timely manner to the Financial Services Department; approve all purchases, expense reports and other financial responsibilities.
- Collect tuition and fees from parents and maintain accurate account records for each family.
- Promote awareness of GCNS programs to parents in the local and surrounding communities.
- Maintain webpage and on-line search engines (i.e. Google)
- Use local media services (i.e. H-W Patch to bring exposure to the school’s activities
- Post or distribute flyers or brochures on community bulletin boards or local events (i.e. H-W Pumpkin Fest, H-W ECP Kids fair or other educational fairs)
- Schedule Open House(s) for prospective parents and/or meet with interested parents on an individual basis as needed.
- Ensure timely, regular, and effective communication with all parents and staff; through on-line venues, emails, notices and postings.
- Oversee teachers’ communication (to families) through on-line newsletters, updates and communication logs.
- Maintain and distribute “Parent Handbook” and “GCNS Guidelines for Staff” which example plans policies and procedures for each group.
- Be available to parents and staff with questions or concerns.
- Relate to other GCTS departments (i.e. Physical Plant, Financial Services, Media Services or Student Life Services).
- Maintain regular meetings with the Dean of Students and keep her up –to –date on events and activities via email, phone or written reports.
- Establish good relationships with outside organization, vendors and community groups (i.e. H-W Early Childhood Partners, Beverly Early Childhood Committee)
- Manage and maintain the physical environments (inside and outside) of GCNS to EEC’s “Early Childhood Program Standards” with the assistance of teachers and other GCTS departments or services.
- Initiate improvements to the physical environment to maintain standards or improve functionality for students and staff.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Please email your resume and cover letter to LBowerman@gcts.edu.