Step 2

Applying for I-20

Requirements for receiving a Form I-20

Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
ATTN: Director of Operations, DMIN-OI
130 Essex Street
South Hamilton, MA 01982

or Fax to: 978-646-4574

or send .PDF attachments to: [email protected]

Any questions regarding F-1 student visas and the Application for I-20/Visa Certificate should be addressed to the Executive Director of Operations, Cohort-Based Education and Designated School Official, Bridget Erickson at 978-646-4132 or 978-646-4132 or by e-mail to [email protected].

Financial Support and Certification

When completing the Application for I-20/Visa Certificate, you are required to show full proof of funding for one academic year in the amounts specified on page 2 of the application. To meet this requirement, you must submit all documents, including bank statements, support letters/affidavits of support, and any other information requested of you. Please note that the embassy/consulate will require original documents; therefore, we recommend that you request two sets of financial documents from each source of funding.

All documents must have been prepared within the last 3 months and should indicate reasonable means of support for future years.


  • First consider the use of personal funds.
  • If necessary, seek support from family members, friends, denominational agencies, local churches, and missions boards. Each supporter must complete an Affidavit of Support and submit original bank statements proving they can support the amount pledged. In some cases, Gordon-Conwell and/or the embassy/consulate may request additional information from supporters.
  • For Doctor of Ministry, scholarships are limited. See Tuition and Financing page for information. However, you should not plan to include these opportunities in your first year of financial support documentation.

Types of Financial Support and Required Documents

NoteAll documents must be presented in English using U.S. $ (USD) conversion. Include any conversion rates used in determining U. S. dollar equivalency.


Personal Funds Parents, Family, or Private Sponsor Organization, agency, foundation, church, or other Scholarship
Submit copy of bank statement in own name (U.S. $) Submit copy of bank statement in sponsor’s own name (U.S. $) Submit affidavit of support, stating conditions of support Submit copy of Gordon-Conwell scholarship award letter
Or letter from bank official in last 3 months showing balances to meet expenses Or letter from bank official in last 3 months showing sponsor’s balances to meet expenses
Submit affidavit of support signed by supporter

Note: Gordon-Conwell and the embassy official will subject financial documents to careful review and consideration. Especially during your visa interview, be prepared to explain all financial sources and if requested, submit additional documentation as needed.

Canadian & Bermudian Citizens

  • Canadian & Bermudian citizens are not required to obtain an F-1 visa.
  • Canadian & Bermudian citizens must, however, receive an I-20 and pay the SEVIS fee.
  • Canadians & Bermudians are required to maintain F-1 status, including provisions for employment and full time enrollment each residency period.
    • Bermuda citizens: Click here for more information.
    • Canadian citizens: Click here for more information.

Apply | Aplicar