« Student Financial Services


How do I apply for GCTS Scholarships?

Gordon-Conwell scholarship opportunities vary by campus. Review the “Scholarships and Grants” page or contact the Admissions Office for details about each scholarship. Students may not receive both a merit and a ministry scholarship at the same time.

For information on the Partnership Scholarship, visit “Partnership Program” or contact the Partnership Program Director at 978-646-4027.

How do I apply for Financial Aid?

Accepted students need to complete the FAFSA and the Gordon-Conwell Financial Aid Application each year. Visiting students, students in the certificate, or DMin programs are not eligible for federal financial aid.

What is the deadline to apply for financial aid?

The priority deadline for financial aid is May 1st. Applications received after the priority deadline are reviewed on a rolling basis. We strongly encourage students to complete the financial aid application process as soon as possible to allow time to budget and decide on financing option(s).

When will I receive my financial aid offer?

Students who have completed the financial aid process by the priority deadline will receive a financial aid offer mid-May. Applications are considered on a rolling basis after the priority deadline. Only completed applications are considered; failure to submit requested documents will delay the review process.

Will my financial aid award cover my summer term?

Many Gordon-Conwell scholarships continue for the summer term. Loans are typically awarded for fall and spring terms only. Please contact our office for more information regarding summer loan applications; summer loan applications can be submitted beginning mid-April.

Will my financial aid be renewed?

Students need to reapply for financial aid each year. Eligibility for federal aid is contingent upon satisfactory academic progress; students must maintain the GPA required for their degree program and successfully complete at least 67% of the attempted credits.

Gordon-Conwell merit scholarships are automatically renewed provided the terms of the scholarship agreement are met.

Do I need to complete the Loan Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note (MPN) each year?

Most students do not have to complete the Loan Entrance Counseling and MPN each year. Students with an expired MPN will be notified. We are not able to disburse federal loans without the confirmation of a completed Loan Entrance Counseling and/or active MPN.

What happens to my financial aid if I do not pass all of my classes? What if I drop a class?

Federal loans eligibility is at risk for classes that are dropped, failed, or incomplete. Students should contact the Financial Aid Office immediately to discuss options.

How do I know how much I should borrow?

The “Financial Planning Worksheet” is a helpful tool to help students know how much to borrow. We strongly encourage students to borrow to only the amount needed; loans are funds that are paid back with interest.

How do I cancel or reduce my student loan(s)?

Student loans can be canceled or reduced during the current term. Students should send an email (using their Gordon-Conwell issued email account) to request an adjustment. The Financial Office will send a portion of the loan back to the lender on the student’s behalf. Once the term has completed, students will need to submit payment directly to the lender to cancel or reduce the loan.

What if I declined my loan but now I need to borrow them?

Students who initially decline a loan that was offered might still be eligible to borrow before the end of the term. The Financial Aid Office cannot disburse a loan after the term has ended. Students should contact the Financial Aid Office to request a loan as soon as possible.

If I have questions about my bill and/or payment plan options, who can I speak with?

Questions about your student statement and/or to set up a payment plan, contact the Student Accounts Office at 978-646-4049 or email [email protected].

I don’t have enough financial aid to pay my bill, are there other options?

Grad PLUS loans or a private student loan from a lender are other options to cover your balance or to pay for other school-related expenses. Consider setting up a payment plan with the Student Accounts Office.

How do I pay my bill using my financial aid?

Gordon-Conwell scholarships are applied to the students’ accounts after the add/drop deadline. Student loans are dispersed three weeks after classes start. Students must be enrolled at least half-time to receive a loan.

What Do I Do if I Have A Credit on My Account Ledger after My Aid is Applied to My Account?

Credits on your student account can be withdrawn using this form “Withdraw the Excess Funds.” This includes credit remaining at the end of the academic year. Students may opt to leave a credit balance on their account to pay for upcoming terms or other school related expenses.

Is my scholarship or grant taxable?

Review Publication 970 “Tax Benefits for Education” published by the IRS found on the IRS website. Consult a tax advisor or accountant for clarification.

Where can I check on my overall federal student loan debt?

Students can review their federal loan debt and obtain information about their lender by logging into their federal student aid account at studentaid.gov

How do I repay my federal student loans?

Students are given a six-month grace period after graduation, withdrawal, or a leave of absence before going into active repayment. Students are not required to make payments on loans while enrolled at least half-time. Loans can be paid down while a student is enrolled; arrangements should be made directly with the lender.

What is federal work-study and how do I find a federal work-study job?

Federal work-study is a need-based federal financial aid program that assists students with part-time employment on campus or near campus. Federal work-study is intended to help students meet educational expenses and, unlike other forms of financial assistance, it is not applied as a credit toward the student’s account.

Students who are offered federal work-study are not required to work. We strongly recommend students assess their course load before determining how many hours they can commit to an on-campus job. Federal work-study positions are limited, and placement is not guaranteed.

Visit “Student Job Openings.”

I Didn’t Qualify for Federal Work-Study. Can I Still Work on Campus?

On campus jobs are open to all students. Students do not need to qualify for federal work-study to apply for campus employment.

Visit “Student Job Openings.”

What If I Still Have Questions?

Email us at [email protected]
Call us at 978-646-4018 during business hours (Monday through Friday 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.)

This information is subject to change. Due to the sensitivity of financial aid information, please use your gordonconwell.edu email.

You Can Afford Seminary

Scholarships & Financial Aid Are Available

Learn More