Dr. Cooper currently teaches at the Charlotte campus, but also taught at Gordon-Conwell’s South Hamilton campus. While in New England, he served as Associate Pastor and led the men’s ministries at historic Tremont Temple Baptist Church in downtown Boston.
From 1995-1997, Dr. Cooper served as the National Director of Promise Keepers. He also served as the first Executive Director/President of the Houston Bible Institute, now called the College of Biblical Studies, in Houston, TX. One of the very first multi-cultural institutions in the country, the Institute now has nearly 2,000 students and the same multi-cultural emphasis.
In addition to serving as a teacher, Dr. Cooper is an internationally known speaker. He has spoken at the Pentagon, Promise Keeper Stadium events, Dennis Rainey “I Still Do” conferences and various Bible conferences. He has made several trips to Africa to work with the Association of Evangelicals of Africa and Madagascar and has spoken at conferences on military bases in Korea. Dr. Cooper served as chaplain for the Houston Oilers and the Houston Astros franchises and has spoken to many other professional teams, including the Pittsburgh Steelers, Dallas Cowboys and Houston Rockets.
Dr. Cooper has won several awards, including the H. A. Ironside Award in expository preaching from Dallas Seminary, the Outstanding Young Men of America Award, the Rotary Four-Way Test Award and the John Philip Sousa Music Award. He is also a member of Who’s Who in American Colleges and Universities.
Dr. Cooper is an experienced counselor and specializes in his private practice in couples, families and minority and men’s issues. He is a licensed clinical psychologist in Colorado and North Carolina and was a part of the examining panel for psychologist licensing in Colorado.
Dr. Cooper’s personal interests include golf, weight lifting, music, travel and reading. He is married to his best friend, Nancy.
• Commentary on the Book of Mark (Broadman and Holman, 2000)
• Shoulder to Shoulder: The Journey from Isolation to Brotherhood (Zondervan, 1997)
• Double Bind: Escaping the Contradictory Demands of Manhood (Zondervan, 1996)
• Kids in Sports: How to Disciple Your Kids from the Sidelines, co-authored with Bill Perkins (Multnomah Press, 1995)
• We Stand Together (Moody Press, 1995)
• Soul Care Bible (Thomas Nelson, 2001)
• We Still Do (Thomas Nelson, 2001)
• Developing an Effective Men’s Ministry (National Coalition of Men’s Ministry, 2000)
• Promise Keepers Bible (Zondervan, 1998)
• The Power of Shared Beliefs (Thomas Nelson, 1993)
Scholarships Have Doubled & Financial Aid Is AvailableLearn More